Barrie is such a vibrant and active community, offering activities for people of all ages and interests. Ranging from the weekly farmer’s market, live theatre performances, local sporting events and the variety of Barrie events and festivals, there is always something new and exciting to do.
Barrie events and festivals can be found throughout the year, allowing residents and tourists to take advantage of all four of our beautiful seasons. Enjoy some winter fun on a dog sled at Winterfest or shop from over 300 artisans at Kempenfest, one of Ontario’s largest outdoor arts and craft shows.
Popular Barrie Events & Festivals
• Winterfest & Festival of Ice (February) – One of the most popular Barrie events is Winterfest, named one of the Top 100 Festivals in Ontario by Festivals & Events Ontario. Visitors can have indoor and outdoor fun, participating in activities such as horse-drawn wagon rides, dogsled rides, mini-tube runs, lumberjack shows, giant snow slides and more, all along Barrie’s frozen waterfront.
• Barrie Waterfront Festival (May) – Welcome spring with free outdoor entertainment, street buskers, a variety of vendors, a midway and more on the shore of beautiful Kempenfelt Bay.
• Barrie Jazz & Blues Festival (June) – Some of the best Canadian and International Jazz and Blues artists perform in over 25 venues throughout Barrie and Simcoe County.
• Barrie Craft Beer & BBQ Festival (July) – Tempt your taste buds with a variety of food vendors, craft beer and live entertainment at Barrie’s Heritage Park along the waterfront.
• Barrie Dragon Boat Festival (August) – This yearly fundraising event brings the community together at Barrie’s waterfront (link to waterfront page) to cheer on Dragon Boat racers, or take in live entertainment, visit local vendors and participate in children’s activities.
• Kempenfest (August) – Featuring over 300 artisans, Kempenfest is one of Ontario’s largest outdoor arts and crafts festivals. This event has grown to include amazing live entertainment, children’s activities, a midway and a variety of unique food vendors.
• Barrie Santa Claus Parade (November) – Join thousands of exciting onlookers as marching bands and illuminated floats pave the way for Santa’s arrival. Finish off the evening with a tree lighting celebration and fireworks in Memorial Square.
Throughout the year, there are so many ways for residents and tourists alike to enjoy the culture and recreation that Barrie has to offer . Many of the Barrie events and festivals showcase the unique local businesses, big-hearted community organizations and the gorgeous natural surroundings. Find a local event and sample some of Barrie’s unique flavour!